This chart presents results over the last three years of used oil recovery. This year shows a 15% decrease over 2019/20 resulting from limited travel and reduced business activity/expenditure as a result of COVID-19.
Chart notes: The 2018/19 result reflects the last six months of operation under Alberta Used Oil Management Association and the first six months of operation under ARMA. Capture rate: industry estimates that 35.5% of oil sold is consumed during use, leaving 64.5% as end-of-life.
The chart presents results over the last three years for used oil filters collected and processed. This year shows a 17% decrease over 2019/20 in collected volumes and an 18% decrease in processed volumes, resulting from limited travel and reduced business activity due to the impact of COVID-19. Since 1997, 160.6 million used oil filters have been collected.
Chart notes: The 2018/19 result reflects the last six months of operation under Alberta Used Oil Management Association and the first six months of operation under ARMA. Recovery rate measures the amount collected as a percent of the amount purchased.
Collection and recycling of used oil materials
R&D; Program awareness
Costs to deliver the program
This year ARMA held over 125 virtual meetings and dialogues with stakeholders in the fields of industry, post-secondary institutions, municipal and provincial governments, and Indigenous relations, creating and supporting opportunities for innovation and expansion in the existing programs and future possibilities.
Three joint roundups for used oil and paint materials were held this year in Red Deer, Alberta’s third largest city. A total of 6,000 litres of used oil were collected during these key events. At one of the events, residents were able to recycle expanded polysterene (EPS) through a collaboration with Nova Chemicals, Styro-Go, ARMA and the Alberta Plastics Recycling Association. This EPS pilot brought in an estimated 125 lbs. of material that will be turned into items such as mouldings for cabinetry, tiles and frames.
This chart presents results over the last three years for containers. COVID-19 impacted the volume of containers generated for recycling due to limited travel and reduced business activity. The collected volume declined 9%. The volume processed declined more significantly at 22%. The disparity between these two figures is a result of a change ARMA made to container incentives to better align with the Regulation. This change discontinued payments for processing of non-program containers, while allowing a tolerance level to support a smooth transition period for processors of containers.
Since 1997, 42.4 million kilograms of oil containers have been collected for recycling.
Chart notes: The 2018/19 result reflects the last six months of operation under Alberta Used Oil Management Association and the first six months of operation under ARMA. Recovery rate is measured as the amount collected as a percent of the amount purchased.
ARMA oversees end-of-life processing of tires, electronics, paint and used oil materials on behalf of the province. Since 1992, ARMA has worked with a broad spectrum of stakeholders to shape recycling policy, create a value-added processing system, minimize waste entering landfills and to act as collective stewards of Alberta’s environment.
Inspiring a Future Without Waste